[Flac-dev] Re: nice idea

Hod McWuff hod at wuff.dhs.org
Fri Oct 4 10:59:02 PDT 2002

Agreed that the oversampling isn't useful in the long term. I'm not sure
what you mean by 'dictioniary overhead'.

I'd like to see an easy-to-invoke set of parameters that will spare no
cpu expense and produce the tightest theoretically possible output.

I'm guessing the best of Marco's idea can be achieved by adding
heuristics to dynamically determine optimal frame size based on say, a
maximum standard deviation of a complexity measurement. The idea is to
tie the frame breaks to dramatic changes in the signal. If the guitarist
plucks a string, or the vocalist starts a new syllable, that should also
mark a frame boundary.