[Flac-dev] Should FLAC join Xiph?

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Fri Nov 22 01:18:01 PST 2002

En réponse à Josh Coalson <xflac at yahoo.com>:

> > If so, which is
> > designed to take precedence (ie. what will libFLAC give to the
> > application?)  Can libFLAC always read any permutation of these?
>
> libFLAC does not know about id3, it only reads Vorbis (it does

Are you taking about Vorbis (the codec) or OGG (the container) ?
That's the kind fo confusion that makes me nervous when I hear about Xiph (sorry
Emmett) : he OGG/Vorbis confusion. Even technical people make the confusion.
That's what I call putting everything in the same bag. From a technical point of
view (and even a marketing one) it's bad.

Anyway I know some people managed to put Vorbis in the MPEG4 container (MPEG4IP
project). If this is the case, that means the Vorbis API is good enough to be
used in other containers and other codec API too. So I'm not *that* scared of
all this integration :)