[Flac-dev] Should FLAC join Xiph?

Drew Hess dhess at bothan.net
Thu Nov 21 10:41:09 PST 2002

This is an issue I've been dealing with lately, too.  My employer is
releasing an image file format as open source, and I want to release it
under a license that both free and commercial software developers are
comfortable using.

I looked at TIFF and PNG, two examples of "free" image file formats that
have been widely adopted by both commercial and free software.  Both have
reference implementations released under very liberal BSD-ish licenses.
TIFF has some incompatibility issues with vendor tags because it's such a
wide-open format, but most developers use the reference implementation,
libtiff.  And TIFF pre-dates the popularity of open source; times have
changed since libtiff was released.  PNG was developed more recently and
doesn't have any compatibility problems, as far as I know.

One case I can think of where a commercial vendor has taken a BSD-licensed
protocol and twisted it with proprietary changes is Microsoft+Kerberos,
but if I recall correctly, they eventually caved in to pressure and either
released their changes or made their implementation compatible with the
reference implementation.

Anyway, consider the chances that someone will use the BSD license to make
proprietary changes to FLAC.  Weigh that against the chances that FLAC
will be an even bigger success if you go with Xiph, and make your choice.

I think it's a no-brainer.  Go with Xiph!  It'd be a great addition to
Ogg.

Just be ready for lots more bug reports :)

-dwh-