[Flac-dev] Should FLAC join Xiph?

earldunovant at earthlink.net earldunovant at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 21 04:52:06 PST 2002

On 21 Nov 2002 at 1:39, Josh Coalson wrote:

> 2. The core libraries would become BSD-licensed.  I've been really
> 50/50 on this ever since I submitted the question to Slashdot
> (see http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/11/27/1650256 ).

Interesting thead. I think your issues are with software developers. The
hardware guys are using the decoder, and they have no incentive to
make do something bizarre that would make it incompatible with what
the core encoder implementation outputs. But in thinking about the
software end, I think back to the ARC vs. ZIP. If a particular
implementation becomes very popular, the author would have plenty of
incentive to develop extensions to the encoder that might break other
people's decoder implementations.

Are file extensions copyrightable? If they are, maybe you can copyright
the extension for FLAC files to insure that anything claiming to be a
FLAC file is compatible with the core libraries. Incompatible extentions
must be called something else.