[Flac-dev] build problems (autoconf/libtool)

Brady Patterson brady at spaceship.com
Fri Jun 28 15:33:04 PDT 2002

Hi.

I want to add some code to flac and am having trouble building it out of cvs.
I've had several problems, most of which were pretty easy to work around or
had already been discussed here.  But this one has me stumped (though I am
admittedly new to autoconf, automake, and libtool).  Here's the problem.

autoconf does not see any definition for AC_PROG_LIBTOOL.  There is such a
definition in <libtool directory>/share/aclocal/libtool.m4, but autoconf
doesn't seem to be aware of that.  I don't know how to tell it to look there;
autoconf doesn't appear to have any option to specify specific additonal m4
files.

The end result is that the makefiles say "LIBTOOL = @LIBTOOL@" instead of
"LIBTOOL = libtool".  I've worked around it for now by manually fixing those
lines in the makefiles but I'd like to know how to solve it.

BTW, I changed AM_PROG_LIBTOOL to AC_PROG_LIBTOOL because aclocal refused to
accept the former (which is apparently deprecated).  That's not the problem
anyway, because I get the same behavior if I change it back after running
aclocal.

I'm running OS X (darwin-5.5) with autoconf-2.53, automake-1.6.2, and
libtool-1.4.2, all of which should be the latest stable versions.

Thanks in advance.

-Brady

--
Brady Patterson (brady at spaceship.com)