[Flac-dev] flac-1.0.3_beta released

Joshua Haberman joshua at haberman.com
Tue Jun 18 23:19:03 PDT 2002

* Josh Coalson (xflac at yahoo.com) wrote:
> I have just released a source distribution which is the
> candidate for the 1.0.3 release.

1. Thanks for the VORBIS_COMMENT headers!

2. I was hoping that the new metadata API would mean that an encoder
could be written without having to know *anything* about the bitwise
layout of the stream format, but that seems not to be the case.  From
src/flac/encode.c:

( void metadata_callback() )
    /* all this is based on intimate knowledge of the stream header
     * layout, but a change to the header format that would break this
     * would also break all streams encoded in the previous format.
     */

    (massive bit-twiddling follows)

As long as you're breaking API compatibility, why not fix this?

3. 'metadata --remove-vc-all' corrupts the target file if there is any
VORBIS_COMMENT block present.  'metadata' can still read the file, but
decoding errors out with FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_LOST_SYNC.  This
seems to be permanent corruption: no further operations, including
removing the VORBIS_COMMENT block, will restore it.