[Flac-dev] flac-1.0.3_beta released

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 15 21:36:02 PDT 2002

--- Matt Zimmerman <mdz at debian.org> wrote:
> I noticed that you bumped the library version for this release.  In
> fact,
> you incremened it twice.  FLAC 1.0.2 shipped with libFLAC.so.1, while
> 1.0.3beta seems to have libFLAC.so.3.  It should never be necessary
> increment the version more than once between releases; at first
> glance, I
> wonder whether you're trying to sync up the library version with the
> release
> version.  This is usually not a good idea, and the libtool manual
> warns
> against it.
>
> So was this an intentional change?

Hmm... -r 1.20 of src/libFLAC/Makefile.am (also tagged with
RELEASE_1_0_2__2001-12-03) has:

libFLAC_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info 2:1:1

I wasn't trying to sync up the lib version with the release
version.  But the API has changed enough to get a new major
rev according to libtool conventions (it has all of new,
changed, and deleted interfaces).