[Flac-dev] Developing SoundFont FLAC compressor using libFLAC

Josh Green jgreen at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jul 17 15:18:02 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 15:34, Josh Coalson wrote:

> Have you seen the API changes in 1.0.3?  Now all metadata is
> parsed and at each decoder layer you can specify which blocks
> get passed up to the metadata callback.  See the
> *_decoder_set_metadata_respond/ignore functions.
>
> Also, on the encoder size, you can now pass a list of arbitrary
> metadata blocks to encode, instead of just padding and seektable.

Rock on! No, I missed the fact that 1.0.3 has been released :)

> > BTW any plans yet for allowing changing of audio parameters while
> > encoding. I think this would give a significant increase in
> > compression
> > for some SoundFonts because the SoundFont sample chunk is multiple
> > consecutive samples and stereo pairs can be determined from the
> > SoundFont information. Cheers!
>
> It's on my TODO list but kind of far down :)  If you want to
> have a crack at it and send me a patch that's fine also.  The
> decoders should be OK, there's just some extra logic that
> would have to be peppered around the stream encoder.

Yeah, no problem. FLAC gives a nice decrease in size as is and adding
this kind of support wouldn't break the SF-FLAC format in the future.

> Josh

I'll let the list know when SF-FLAC is finished, should anyone be
interested. I'm considering starting a FREE SoundFont compressor
campaign, so users will stop using SoundFont encoders that aren't
available on platforms such as Linux. This would also pressure some of
the existing formats to release Linux versions. In order to do this I
need to program a stand alone compressor/de-compressor utility that can
work in Windows, OSX, etc. So I will probably working to get libFLAC to
compile with MingW32 (has this been tried?) Cheers!
	Josh Green