[Flac-dev] MD5 Question

Mike Wren mikew at etree.org
Sun Jul 7 16:52:02 PDT 2002

I know this is probably a really stupid question, but why is FLAC's MD5
checksum different than the MD5 checksum of the original (input) .wav?

I was under the impression that since each FLAC file contains metadata that
can be changed without changing the audio (thus changing the MD5 checksum of
that FLAC file) that the checksum of the original .wav file would instead be
used. If that's the case, what am I missing?  Is there some header data in
the .wav file that is getting thrown out?  The original .wav checksum is
identical after i compress and decompress with FLAC, so it appears nothing
is getting stripped.

Thanks, and great job on 1.0.3.  It's working great with the frontend under
Win2k.  Now, time to get out my DOS book and create some DOS batch files for
converting a drive full of SHN files to FLAC.  ;)  It's all lossless, and
it's all good!

MW