[Flac-dev] Latest Flac license thinking?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Sun Jan 20 20:50:02 PST 2002

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 10:45:47PM -0500, Asheesh Laroia wrote:

> I've always wondered, why can't a simple LGPL/GPL double-license do the
> trick?

Because the problem, as I understand it, is that the LGPL is too strict
about linking with non-free code.  One of the ideas of the LGPL was to make
it possible to link non-free and free code together under certain
circumstances (like glibc).  The GPL prohibits this kind of thing entirely,
so it is even more strict.

--
 - mdz