[Flac-dev] continuous play between tracks

Andre Pang ozone at algorithm.com.au
Tue Jan 15 20:25:03 PST 2002

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 06:05:40PM -0500, benny k. wrote:

> i noticed that when i play flac files with xmms there is a gap between
> tracks, even on a continuous cd. is this supposed to happen? i thought that
> the file format was suppose to allow continuous playback.

Try the XMMS crossfade (i.e. continuous) output plugin before
going further[1].  XMMS is not a 'gapless' player: it will not
read ahead output to maintain a continuous stream.  The crossfade
plugin fixes this.  I suspect that there's some overhead involved
in the FLAC plugin, which is what is causing XMMS to skip when
you go to the next track.  (There's overhead in the WAV loader
too, but probably far less.)

1. http://www.netcologne.de/~nc-eisenlpe2/xmms-crossfade/

--
#ozone/algorithm <ozone at algorithm.com.au>          - trust.in.love.to.save