[Flac-dev] Latest Flac license thinking?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Tue Jan 15 19:28:01 PST 2002

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 03:27:42PM -0500, Woodrow Stool wrote:

> A while back Josh was thinking of changing the Flac license, and posted a
> question on Slashdot regarding various licensing schemes.
>
> Josh, have you come to any conclusions about future licensing of Flac?

If the concerns are about embedded systems, I recommend adding an exception
to the license (a carefully worded one, written with the assistance of
legal-types) rather than changing to a BSD-style license.

Have you asked the FSF about their thoughts on the LGPL's application to
embedded systems?  As far as I know, the LGPL authors have nothing
specifically against the use of free software in embedded systems, and they
might have useful input on the subject.  licensing at gnu.org would be, I
think, the right place to ask, if you haven't already.

--
 - mdz