[Flac-dev] success compiling and running under IRIX

Martin Blais blais at discreet.com
Sun Jan 13 17:15:09 PST 2002

hello guys

first i would like to say that I'm very happy that there is true open source
lossless audio compression software available from you guys. i'm
contemplating archiving my cd collection and i would never even consider
encoding important stuff with proprietary code. i might just as well throw my
music away!  flac's goals and features coincide with mine as a user, and it
compiled and worked out of the box. thanks for great software.

anyway, apart from the flowers, i'm sending this email to let you know i've
successfully compiled and ran flac under IRIX using the native MipsPro
compiler.

some notes you might be interested in:

1) i ran it under both linux and irix on the same test file, however, the
md5sums of the encoded flac files DON'T match. decoding the flac files back
into original wav files yields files whose md5sums match, regardless whether
i'm decoding under linux or irix, so that's not a problem. the mips
processors are 64-bit processors, perhaps there's something in the header?
you might want to look into it. it would be nice for flac to produce
identical encoded files, regardless of the platform where the files were
encoded.

2) you should consider making the "-Wall" options in the configure.in file
conditional to using gcc. i had to remove those by hand to be able use
MipsPro.

3) just for fyi, encoding and decoding on a dual 400Mhz SGI Octane2 box is
noticeably slower than on a 864Mhz P3 PC. that's funny, since FP ops are
generally much faster under the MIPS machines and normally, mp3 encoding is
much faster on the Octanes.

thanks again.
cheers,

--