[Flac-dev] problems with flac

pritpaul at svaudio.org pritpaul at svaudio.org
Sun Oct 14 09:10:03 PDT 2001

Hello, I am having some problems with flac.  I remember using an older
version a year or so ago and I don't remember having any problems.

1.) When I encode a raw file and then decode it to raw, it seems to add 12
bytes of nulls (this may not always be just nulls, i have only tested on one
file and it starts with nulls anyway)

2.) When I try to encode a WAV and then decode it, it fails at 11%
when decoding (again I've only tested one file)

$ flac -o test1-from-wav.flac test1-sox.wav

flac 1.0, Copyright (C) 2000,2001 Josh Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  Type `flac' for
details.

test1-sox.wav: wrote 485680508 bytes, ratio=0.441
$ flac -d -o test1-de-flac-from-wav.wav
test1-from-wav.flac

flac 1.0, Copyright (C) 2000,2001 Josh Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  Type `flac' for
details.

test1-from-wav.flac: 11% complete
test1-from-wav.flac: ERROR while decoding data,
state=6:FLAC__FILE_DECODER_STREAM_ERROR

3.) When decoding (I have only tried with the flac file created from the
raw file), flac seems to want to wait until finished to write it
out.  I am quite sure I remember being able to pipe flac output before for
realtime playback.

I would appreciate if anybody could help me with these problems, because I
have over 1000 cassette tapes and want to create a flac archive burned to
CDs, and I want to be able to start as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot,
Pritpaul Mahal