[Flac-dev] slashdot article

Woodrow Stool woodrow_stool at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 29 07:17:04 PST 2001

I saw your post and read the replies with great interest.  Did you draw any
conclusions from the /. replies?  Where do you think you might go with the
licensing issues for embedded systems?

I would vote for the BSD license approach myself.

Here's another licensing question.  Your source code lays out the
functionality of the FLAC codec and the file formats.  What if someone comes
along and uses this code to implement FLAC with a different set of tools or
targets different operating systems.  Say a Kylix port for Linux or an ASM
port to embedded MSDOS.  Would this now be considered a derivative work that
would fall under the GPL/LGPL, even though none of your original source code
was used?

- Woody