[Flac-dev] flac in the filesystem?

Joshua Haberman jhaberman at ups.edu
Sat Nov 3 15:57:01 PST 2001

* Matt Zimmerman (mdz at debian.org) wrote:
> I agree with Josh (the other one) that abstraction libraries like
> libaudiofile are a good way to make this a zero-maintenance feature.
> Theoretically, support for new formats can be added to the library, and
> all programs using that library will become instantly able to handle it.

This is clearly the best solution. However, no abstraction library exists
today that can read and write all common uncompressed formats, vorbis,
mp3, and FLAC.  Instead I'm stuck writing and maintaining separate code
for libsndfile, libvorbis, libmad, lame, and libFLAC.

I also don't foresee all of the windows audio jukebox programs that my
friends use linking with this universal audio format library anytime
soon. :-(

Joshua

--
Joshua Haberman  <joshua at haberman.com>