[Flac-dev] -lm ordering

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Thu Nov 1 02:32:02 PST 2001

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 08:40:42PM -0800, Josh Coalson wrote:

> let me lateral to Matt, not being a proficient libtool guy... is it OK
> to put the -lm in using _LDADD?  I have this vague memory of having to
> do this some other way for some reason.

It looks like LDADD is the right place for it, though the double
negative is a prone to misinterpretation:

`maude_LDADD'
     Extra objects can be added to a shared library or a program by
     listing them in the `_LDADD' variable.  This should be used for
     objects determined by `configure'.

     `_LDADD' is inappropriate for passing program-specific linker flags
     (except for `-l', `-L', `-dlopen' and `-dlpreopen').  Use the
     `_LDFLAGS' variable for this purpose.

     For instance, if your `configure.in' uses `AC_PATH_XTRA', you
     could link your program against the X libraries like so:

          maude_LDADD = $(X_PRE_LIBS) $(X_LIBS) $(X_EXTRA_LIBS)

`maude_LDFLAGS'
     This variable is used to pass extra flags to the link step of a
     program or a shared library.

--
 - mdz