[Flac-dev] Re: detecting host machine in configure.in?

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 15:18:16 PDT 2001

--- Christian Weisgerber <naddy at mips.inka.de> wrote:
> Josh Coalson <xflac at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Basically what I want is configure.in determination of
> > basic machine type (intel/compatible, alpha, ppc), then within
> > that (say intel) the code will detect variants like MMX, SSE,
> > and use the right routines.
>
> Please include a way to disable processor-specific optimizations.
> Some people need to be able to build (for example) generic i386
> packages, no matter whether the build machine happens to support
> SSE etc.

ok, all good ideas.

I have made the changes to configure.in and various Makefile.am's.
I added the cpu checking (based on $host_cpu) and an option to
disable all asm optimizations (--disable-asm-optimizations).

but since I'm not too saavy with autoconf/automake I'll ask for a
little bit more help.  I think the only non-functional part left is
that automake doesn't support source files that are in subdirectories,
relative to Makefile.am(?)  the layout in src/libFLAC/ is that all
asm sources will go under a 'cputype' directory (e.g.
src/libFLAC/i386/ for x86 sources).  having to put them all in
src/libFLAC/ would be a mess later.  can you guys take a look and
advise?