[Flac-dev] 0.9 problems

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Fri May 18 21:55:08 PDT 2001

On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 02:05:14AM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> Problems in FLAC 0.9:
>
> - On alpha, flac immediately dumps core for both encoding and
>   decoding (FreeBSD/alpha).

I have reproduced this on Debian/alpha as well.  I will spend some time
debugging it tonight.

> - The distribution Makefile.in files haven't been generated with
>   "automake --include-deps".  The resulting Makefiles aren't fully
>   portable; in particular they break with BSD make.  In the future,
>   care should be taken to use "--include-deps".

This should happen automatically if the tarball is created with "make dist".

> - What is the obj directory for?  "obj" is magic to BSD make, and
>   unless removed this directory breaks building on BSD.

I believe this is used by the non-automake makefiles.

> - I question the wisdom of forcing CFLAGS to a particular set of
>   (gcc-specific) optimizations options.

Agreed.  autoconf already knows whether cc is gcc, so it's a simple matter to
conditionally set CFLAGS.

--
 - mdz