[Flac-dev] flac command line usage (was: the road to 1.0...)

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Tue May 1 12:28:40 PDT 2001

> > > It would be easier if FLAC understand the following command:
"flac *.wav
> > > *.flac" or "flac -d *.flac *.wav"
> > >
> > > for now I have to use some shell "tricks".
> > >
> > I assume you're using the DOS shell?  because all unix shells I
know will
> > expand the globs first so this syntax cannot work anyway.
> >
> > but I know what you're saying.  something 'flac -d *.flac' would be
useful...
> > I'll keep it in mind.
>
> I think the easiest way to make all of this "just work" would be to
provide
> a default output filename for both encoding and decoding, e.g.:
>
> flac file.wav
>
> would produce file.flac, and
>
> flac -d file.flac
>
> would produce file.wav.  That way, flac *.wav and flac -d *.flac are
possible,
> and their behavior easily understood.

OK, I kind of like Matt's usage idea best.  I think there are only
two minor downsides:

1. You won't be able to do basename renaming within the command
anymore, i.e. 'flac 01.wav songname.flac', you have to do a
'flac 01.wav && mv 01.flac songname.flac'

2. This one's way out there, but I guess if someone were on DOS then
.flac will be too long and there's no way to get around that unless
I add some option to specify a default extension.

So unless there's a really big objection I think I'll go and make
the changes so that the output file name is automatically determined
and you can specify multiple input files.