[Flac-dev] libFLAC docs

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 15:03:57 PDT 2001

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/~checkout~/flac/flac/doc/documentation.html?rev=HEAD

> > Also, I'm thinking about splitting the encoder into stream
> > and file encoders like the decoders are, so the encoder
> > interface might change slightly.  This will be pretty minor
> > and I'll make sure to do it before 1.0.
> >
> > Josh
> >

> What is the procedure for including libFLAC support in a program. The
> documentation mentions the public header files which seem to have
> fairly
> generic names, and I notice they aren't installed after a "make
> install". How then should a program that uses libFLAC find these
> header
> files? This doesn't seem like the usual setup for a library.
> Shouldn't
> there be like one header file "libflac.h" or "flac.h" or something
> that
> gets installed in the system /usr/include? Also perhaps a flac-config
> shell script that describes the C and LIBS flags to compile flac
> support. As things are right now it looks like one would have to
> package
> the header files with a program or have the user set a config flag to
> point to the flac source header files.

Good points.  I imagine there should be two separate packages;
one for the command line tools, and one like flac-devel, which
has the libs and the includes.  BTW in this scenario the files
that are currently in include/FLAC would go in /usr/include/FLAC
and you would do something like #include "FLAC/stream_encoder.h".
Not sure how to accomplish this with libtool/automake yet since
I'm still kind of weak in this area.

> I also noticed that stream_encoder.h isn't in the 0.10 version
> release,
> is this only in CVS currently?

Yes, this was done after 0.10 went out.