[Flac-dev] Re: beta 10 candidate checked in

Mark Powell M.S.Powell at salford.ac.uk
Fri Jun 8 02:26:36 PDT 2001

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Josh Coalson wrote:

> > > my hunch is that your version of either automake or possibly
> > > autoconf is not recent enough.

autoconf v2.13
automake v1.4

I've upgraded to autoconf v2.50 and updated flac from cvs. The error is
being generated by aclocal anyway and that's part of automake v1.4.

> > No.  He simply doesn't have xmms installed.  That's what I mentioned
> > a while ago:  non-standard macros should go into acinclude.m4.
>
> Now I have done some more reading, and I don't think simply
> putting the call to AM_PATH_XMMS an acinclude.m4 will help him.
> This macro is defined in /usr/local/share/aclocal/xmms.m4

Well I just installed xmms v1.2.4 and didn't get that file placed there. I
copied it there manually and aclocal is now happy.

$ aclocal
$ autoconf
configure.in:33: warning: AC_CANONICAL_HOST invoked multiple times
$ automake --foreign --add-missing
automake: configure.in: installing `./install-sh'
automake: configure.in: installing `./mkinstalldirs'
automake: configure.in: installing `./missing'
configure.in: 27: required file `./ltconfig' not found
$ ./configure
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking build system type... i386-unknown-freebsd4.3
checking host system type... i386-unknown-freebsd4.3
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for executable suffix...
checking for object suffix... o
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/libexec/elf/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/libexec/elf/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... yes
ltconfig: you must specify a host type if you use `--no-verify'
Try `ltconfig --help' for more information.
configure: error: libtool configure failed

I have libtool v1.3.4 installed as it's a dependancy of much of the
FreeBSD ports tree. From the libtool v1.3.4 port Makefile:

---
# This port has not been upgraded to 1.4 because it is used by about 30% of
# the ports collection, and more testing is needed.  If someone can supply a
# working patch then it will be upgraded.
---

Okay. You could say the FreeBSD ports maintainers should get their
finger(s) out and upgrade. So I upgraded to libtool v1.4 to see if the old
version was the problem. Repeated the procedure and now ./configure seems
to work correctly. BTW I also tried libtool v1.3.5 and that gave the same
error during the configure.
  On to the make:

$ make
Making all in src
cd: can't cd to src
*** Error code 1

Stop in /root/src/lame/flac.

Looks like GNU make is still required:

$ gmake
[snipped]
gcc -shared  plugin.lo  -Wl,--rpath
-Wl,/root/src/lame/flac/src/libFLAC/.libs/.libs -Wl,--rpath
-Wl,/usr/local/lib  -L/root/src/lame/flac/src/libFLAC/.libs
/root/src/lame/flac/src/libFLAC/.libs/.libs/libFLAC.so -L/usr/X11R6/lib
-lgtk12 -lgdk12 -L/usr/local/lib -lgmodule12 -lgthread12 -lglib12 -lintl
-lxpg4 -lXext -lX11 -lm -lxmms  -lc  -Wl,-E -Wl,-soname
-Wl,libxmms-flac.so -o .libs/libxmms-flac.so
gcc: /root/src/lame/flac/src/libFLAC/.libs/.libs/libFLAC.so: No such file
or directory
gmake[2]: *** [libxmms-flac.la] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/root/src/lame/flac/src/plugin_xmms'
gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/root/src/lame/flac/src'
gmake: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Hmmm. I've no idea how to fix this.
  Cheers.

Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - The University of Salford
Academic Information Services, Clifford Whitworth Building,
Salford University, Manchester, M5 4WT, UK.
Tel: +44 161 295 5936  Fax: +44 161 295 5888  www.pgp.com for PGP key