[Flac-dev] 0.10 released

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 7 14:49:01 PDT 2001

> I've noticed that the assemblerized i386 version creates a different
> output file from the C version (alpha, sparc).  Is that a known
> effect?

yes.  the base type C floating point type used in libFLAC is
now 32-bit float.  so in C-land intermediate results tend to
be affected by that precision whereas in the assembly code,
we are free to stay in the 80-bit FPU stack as long as possible
to keep the accuracy up.  in some cases it will help the
compression.

but the resulting files in either case are valid.