[Flac-dev] Re: beta 10 candidate checked in

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Thu Jun 7 14:27:24 PDT 2001

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 12:51:16AM -0700, Josh Coalson wrote:

> > > Now I have done some more reading, and I don't think simply
> > > putting the call to AM_PATH_XMMS an acinclude.m4 will help him.
> >
> > No, of course not.  You need to put the macro _definition_, i.e. ...
> >
> > > This macro is defined in /usr/local/share/aclocal/xmms.m4
> >
> > ... xmms.m4 into acinclude.m4.  (Putting it into aclocal.m4 may or
> > may
> > not suffice, I don't know.)
> >
> well, I had already ruled out this option as I really don't want
> to start maintaining XMMS's code too.  this won't really scale as
> the number of related programs grows.

You may be able to get around this by including aclocal.m4 in CVS, though its
modification time must always be later than that of configure.in.  Then,
persons building from CVS can just run autoconf and automake (but not aclocal).
You would only have to check in a new aclocal.m4 if you started using new
non-autoconf macros in configure.in.  Makefile.in, configure and such could
still be auto-generated.  autogen.sh should be modified not to call aclocal
(automake will still run it automatically if configure.in is modified, though).

--
 - mdz