[Flac-dev] Re: beta 10 candidate checked in

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 6 17:02:42 PDT 2001

> > > $ aclocal && autoconf && automake -c -a -i
> > > aclocal: configure.in: 45: macro `AM_PATH_XMMS' not found in
> library
> >
> > my hunch is that your version of either automake or possibly
> > autoconf is not recent enough.
>
> No.  He simply doesn't have xmms installed.  That's what I mentioned
> a while ago:  non-standard macros should go into acinclude.m4.

Yes, my mistake.

Now I have done some more reading, and I don't think simply
putting the call to AM_PATH_XMMS an acinclude.m4 will help him.
This macro is defined in /usr/local/share/aclocal/xmms.m4
which is part of an XMMS installation.  In other words, to
*run* 'configure' you of course do not have to have XMMS installed
but to *build* 'configure' you do, because we use a macro that's
part of the XMMS installion to generate code to check for XMMS in
our configure.

This all goes back to the debate on whether you should distribute
configure.in or configure, and it looks like the tools were
designed for the latter.  The implication here is that to build
configure you have to have all the packages that any configuration
might refer to already installed.

So I'm not sure how to solve the problem totally.  As much as I
would like people to build from CVS, I also don't really want to
check in all the generated files (configure, Makefile.in's, etc.)
every time configure.in changes.  I'm open to suggestions.