[Flac-dev] 1.0 candidate checked in

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Fri Jul 20 13:17:38 PDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 08:12:13AM -0700, collver at linuxfreemail.com wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 05:05:46PM -0700, Josh Coalson wrote:
> >
> > Ben, was there a reason to compile the .nasm files
> > through libtool in the first place (instead of
> > just using nasm directly like before)?  If not I would
> > revert back to the old src/libFLAC/ia32/Makefile.am
>
> The libtool on my system will not add .o files to a
> library.  It only accepts .lo files which appear to be
> text files describing the .o files libtool generates.

Interesting; this, too, seems to be a change from libtool 1.4.  .lo files
generated by libtool 1.4 are normal object files, at least on Linux/ia32:

format.lo: ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, Intel 80386, version 1, not stripped

In contrast to .la files, which are text.

Maybe the easy way to get around all of this is to build a plain old .a archive
for the assembler stuff, instead of a libtool .la library.  This may or may not
cause problems when linking the libFLAC shared library.  I'll try it.

--
 - mdz