[Flac-dev] Re: flac and pipes problems (was: Possible bug)

FLAC xflac at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 22 17:32:04 PST 2001

I'll rearrange a little and respond:

--- Mark Powell <M.S.Powell at salford.ac.uk> wrote:
>   Also, when flac takes input from stdin it fails to
> fill in the wav size
> fields correctly, whereas shorten has no problems
> with this: i.e.
> You can see it puts a data chunk size of zero in
> there.

OK, this has been fixed in CVS.

>   Flac refuses completely to encode from a pipe.
> Again, shorten has no
> problems with both these examples:
>
> $ shorten - mj.shn < mj.wav
> $ cat mj.wav | shorten - mj.shn
>
> Flac handles stdin being a file, but the pipe throws
> it:
>
> $ flac - mj.flac < mj.wav
> $ cat mj.wav | flac -fw - mj.flac
> ERROR seeking while skipping samples in input file -

this should be fixed in CVS now also.  thanks for
the pointers.

>   I note that shorten does transfer across any
> extraneous data after the
> wav chunks, making the wav file after being
> shortened exactly the same as
> before. Could flac not easily do this? Simple copy?
> At least by default
> with a flag to specify if you don't want extraneous
> data transferred
> across?

hmm... I'm not sure this is the right thing to do.
flac is not really meant to store the metadata of
other formats.  are we still talking about the
SoundForge comments?

to answer your question, yes, it's possible, it
just feels kludgey.