[Flac-dev] packaging flac for debian

Britton fsblk at aurora.uaf.edu
Wed Feb 21 18:08:56 PST 2001

The users of debian have been without high quality lossless audio
compression too long, I say.  I am therefore packaging flac for debian.
Having your program debian packaged is a great new source of bug reports
(both forwarded from me where appropriate and sent in directly from
misguided users when I screw up :), so I thought I'd say hello now.

Also, I haven't packaged a library before, and debian likes to have
separate libflac and libflac-dev packages in cases like this.  Am I
correct in my understanding that the 6 headers in include/FLAC constitute
the entire public interface, and that the make file produced by configure
does not provide a way to automate the installation of these headers in
/usr/include?  Judging from the generated Makefile, configure has
machinery for automating this, but flac doesn't use it (or I am not seeing
how it does).  If there is a conventional way to have configure handle
installation of headers, would people be interested in seeing it added
upstream?  Does anyone know of such a conventional way and have
documentation they can point to?

Thanks,
Britton Kerin
__
GNU GPL: "The Source will be with you... always."