[Flac-dev] (no subject)

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 7 17:10:47 PST 2001

hmm, I'm thinking we could spec out an ETREE metadata
block that you could use.  I made some more comments
inline:

--- Mike Wren <mikew at etree.org> wrote:
> Filesize compressed

this is problematic because the overall filesize
can change when metadata is added or removed.

> Filesize uncompressed

FLAC only preserves the "fmt" metadata chunk of
the RIFF WAVE format so the uncompressed size of
the .flac file will be shorter than the original
if the wav had any of the uncommon chunks in it.

> Compression ratio
>
> Audio length in time
>
> When encoding, a check to see if audio is cut on a
> sector boundary
> (very important for people who will use this data
> for decompressing and
> burning to CD-R). This field would be either a Y or
> N probably.

all these you can calculate from the ENCODING block.

> Flag for making the ID3 tags "read-only"

why not just use file permissions?

> MD5 hash of compressed audio data
>
> MD5 hash of uncompressed WAV file

why do you need separate hashes?  there is currently
an MD5 signature of the unencoded audio data (i.e.
WAV file minus the metadata).  that should be enough
to fingerprint the file.

> Additionally, the ability to easily export MD5 hash
> of compressed and
> uncompressed data for integrity and show tracking
> purposes from the file
> header would help the etree.org community greatly,
> since we attempt to
> track, via MD5 hashes, each show in circulation (
> http://db.etree.org/shncirc ).  Being able to easily
> export a unique
> "fingerprint/MD5 hash" as a .txt file, or exporting
> the MD5's of a
> directory of FLAC files into a single .txt file
> would be needed.

this utility would be pretty easy to write.

> Also, I would suggest that the name of this project
> be changed from "Free
> Lossless Audio Coder" to "Free Lossless Audio
> Codec".  It's a matter of
> semantics, but important that we clear that up as
> early on as possible.

ok, enough people have asked for this that I went
and changed it everywhere I could.  search engines
may still have it wrong though...