[Flac-dev] the road to 1.0...

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Sat Apr 28 14:01:25 PDT 2001

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 11:31:43AM -0700, Josh Coalson wrote:

> --- Jan Suhr <jan.suhr at usa.net> wrote:
> > It would be easier if FLAC understand the following command: "flac *.wav
> > *.flac" or "flac -d *.flac *.wav"
> >
> > for now I have to use some shell "tricks".
> >
> I assume you're using the DOS shell?  because all unix shells I know will
> expand the globs first so this syntax cannot work anyway.
>
> but I know what you're saying.  something 'flac -d *.flac' would be useful...
> I'll keep it in mind.

I think the easiest way to make all of this "just work" would be to provide
a default output filename for both encoding and decoding, e.g.:

flac file.wav

would produce file.flac, and

flac -d file.flac

would produce file.wav.  That way, flac *.wav and flac -d *.flac are possible,
and their behavior easily understood.

--
 - mdz