[Flac-dev] the road to 1.0...

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 13:35:07 PDT 2001

--- Mike Wren <mikew at etree.org> wrote:

> I'm *still* working on getting some etree.org developers to help out,
> but I
> think as a whole, etree'ers are stuck in their Shorten frame-of-mind
> (creating workarounds for an old and very limited codec).

One thing that might change some minds is shorten's lack of error
recovery.  I don't know how much users have analyzed the format,
but if you are using for archiving you should definitely know that
if even one bit is damaged in the shorten file, the minimum damage
is that the rest of the data for the channel is bad.  Shorten cannot
recover from errors because it relies on the correct decoding of
the previous frame to prime the predictor, whereas FLAC does not.