[daala] Stable release

Ralph Giles giles at thaumas.net
Mon Jan 18 09:39:51 PST 2016

On 18/01/16 06:53 AM, Baptiste Fontaine wrote:
> The last (and first) tag in the git repo was in 2013; is there any plan to tag a new stable version?

Not before the end of the year, at least.

> For the background I work on the Homebrew package manager (http://brew.sh); we provide a way to install Daala but it’s only from the git HEAD because we don’t have any tarball link or git tag to use. We prefer to use stable releases because it ensures everyone gets the same stable code instead of the latest commit at some point in time.

Daala hasn't settled on a stable bitstream yet, so there's not much point in publishing release tags. Any version skew would block interoperability. While that's true, git HEAD is probably best; it provides an easy way to try out the code, but leaves ensuring matching encode/decode versioning up to the user.

Thanks for maintaining the package,
 -r