[daala] Curious about progress of codec

Aaron Boxer boxerab at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 03:36:28 UTC 2016

Dear Daala-istas,

I took a look at the PSNR and PSNR-HVS charts for daala vs H.264 and H.265.
May I ask at what PSNR value you would consider Daala to be competitive
with H.265 ? From the graph, it looks like you are asymptotically matching
H.264 quality, but there is still significant difference with HEVC, and
progress is flattening out.

I don't mean to be that guy, but when do you think you will be able to meet
your project goal of meeting or beating HEVC quality? I am asking because I
think this is a great project, and want to see it beating out the $$-driven
competition.

Kind Regards,
Aaron Boxer