[daala] Why not upgrading Daala range coding with much faster rANS or tANS?

Jarek Duda dudajar at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 04:52:01 PDT 2015

On 15/08/15 12:57, Timothy B. Terriberry wrote:
> This is documented in entdec.h: "The difference between the coded
> value and the low end of the current range."
Thank you, I will try to test its accuracy in a few days.

But this is a huge procedure for a single decoding step, heavily
approximated (the 3 line rANS step was nearly accurate) - I honestly
believe you should test its speed and accuracy, and compare with
state-of-art.
Just fill a few MB buffer with random values from assumed probability
distribution and test encoding/decoding time and compression ratio.

Thanks,
Jarek