[daala] Dumb questions from a fan

Zach Lym zachlym at indolering.com
Fri Apr 3 17:25:40 PDT 2015

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 4:22 PM, Thomas Daede <daede003 at umn.edu> wrote:

> > It would also be nice to hear some commentary on how this will impact
> > adoption.  Will hardware decoding of Daala will be competitive with
> > dedicated h.264/5 decoders?  What about on mobile platforms?  Will
> shimming
> > support for Daala using JS/WebGL be a realistic option?
>
> Both hardware and software decoding of Daala is meant to be practical
> across a variety of devices, including mobile chipsets.

> Daala is feasable with a JS shim, however we would much prefer to be
> natively implemented in devices and browsers. You can see an example of
> this being done for other free codecs here:
> https://github.com/brion/ogv.js

My understanding is that VP9 just wasn't suited for decoding using JS. The
demo Daala decoder offered performance similar to that of Route9.js, but it
is apparently still not optimized. Is it inherently easier to decode Daala
using JS/WebGL?  Do you think it will be good enough to make a material
impact on cross compatibility efforts?

Also, the Q/A section of every talk I've seen includes someone asking about
hardware implementations.  The response has generally been something along
the lines of "We are cognizant of the need for hardware implementations, we
are too busy to build one ourselves." – but this doesn't answer more
practical questions.

For example, how much do you think it will cost to add Daala support?  My
understanding was that since VP8/9 is very similar to h.264/5 it is very
cheap to add support.