[daala] Mozilla is hiring a codec engineer to work on Daala

Jack Moffitt jack at metajack.im
Fri Aug 29 13:25:10 PDT 2014

Application and job details (also copied below) here:
http://careers.mozilla.org/en-US/position/oNOsZfwM

Location: Any of our global offices or remote

The Internet needs a royalty free video codec appropriate for
universal deployment with no gatekeepers. Creating a better video
codec is a difficult task, and creating one with unencumbered
technology is even harder. We've achieved that goal for audio with
Opus, but video is still dominated by royalty bearing codecs like
H.264.

We're looking for a Senior Research Engineer to join us building
Daala, a next-next generation video codec being developed by Mozilla
Research in conjunction with the Xiph.Org Foundation. Daala uses
lapped transforms, overlapped-block motion compensation,
frequency-domain prediction, gain-shape (perceptual) vector
quantization, , and non-binary arithmetic coding to achieve superior
performance.

You'll be working on improving codec performance in various areas and
inventing new algorithms for making videos smaller and higher quality.
Our focus on non-mainstream techniques forces us to solve new
problems, but also liberates us from the minor, incremental
improvements of legacy codecs. This is a chance to escape the local
minimum of current codec designs and define a new direction for future
video codec research.

Some examples of recent work we've been doing can be found on our demo pages:
* http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/daala/demo1.shtml
* http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/daala/demo2.shtml
* http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/daala/demo3.shtml
* http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/daala/demo4.shtml

Performance of Daala is judged by a combination of objective quality
metrics that run as part of continuous integration and subjective
testing. Visual quality is paramount: we actively degrade PSNR if it
makes the videos look better.

Daala is an open source project, and most of our work is done
completely in the open. As part of the Daala team, you will be working
with our corporate partners, with the open-source community, and with
the IETF as we try to standardize a new video codec for the Internet.
We hope to ship your work to hundreds of millions of users and make
better Internet video that is free for everyone.

Required Skills:
* BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Ability to work with a distributed development team
* Proficiency with C and other low-level development

Desired Skills:
* Background in codecs, machine learning, hardware, and/or optimization
* Knowledge of SIMD instruction sets
* Public presentation skills
* Experience with Standards Development Organizations (SDOs)