[AnxAssoc] Annodex activities
silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 05:09:48 PDT 2009
Attached are the logs of today's meeting.
If somebody wants to do us a favor, they could write a summary and add
it into http://annodex.org/wiki/Committee/Meetings/#Minutes_of_2009_Committee_meetings:
On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 1:15 AM, John Ferlito <johnf at inodes.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
> There will be a public Annodex association meeting on Thursday on #annodex.
> The public meeting will take place at 5:30pm Sydney time - check your
> local time here:
> Draft Agenda:
> 1. Open Media Now
> 2. GSoC
> 3. Annodex.net website
> 4. Software project updates
> 5. Other topics
> See you then!
> Blog http://www.inodes.org/blog
> OLPC Friends http://olpcfriends.org
> annodex-association mailing list
> annodex-association at lists.annodex.net
-------------- next part --------------
Apr 30 17:54:53 <nessy> -- meeting open
Apr 30 17:54:55 <nessy> Draft Agenda:
Apr 30 17:54:55 <nessy> 1. Open Media Now
Apr 30 17:54:55 <nessy> 2. GSoC
Apr 30 17:54:55 <nessy> 3. Annodex.net website
Apr 30 17:54:55 <nessy> 4. Software project updates
Apr 30 17:54:55 <nessy> 5. Other topics
Apr 30 17:55:11 <nessy> OK
Apr 30 17:55:12 <nessy> 1. Open Media Now
Apr 30 17:55:16 <nessy> I've had no news
Apr 30 17:55:35 <nessy> but I think we still haven't paid Rob
Apr 30 17:56:16 <nessy> johnf, can you do the payment?
Apr 30 17:56:30 <johnf> yes I'll do it this week
Apr 30 17:56:44 <nessy> cool
Apr 30 17:56:56 <nessy> On the note of money, there is also a bill from FOMS that came in late
Apr 30 17:57:08 <nessy> johnf promised to take care of that, too - thanks!
Apr 30 17:57:18 <johnf> I'm going to try and chase LCA on that
Apr 30 17:57:29 <nessy> I will try and catch up with Rob Savoye
Apr 30 17:57:44 <nessy> 2. GSoC
Apr 30 17:57:57 <nessy> I think apart from wiking, we don't have an annodex student
Apr 30 17:58:59 <denisc1> When does the program start?
Apr 30 17:59:35 * denisc1 is now known as denisc_
Apr 30 17:59:41 <nessy> update is here:
Apr 30 17:59:41 <nessy> http://socghop.appspot.com/org/home/google/gsoc2009/xiph
Apr 30 17:59:41 * denisc_ is now known as denisc1
Apr 30 17:59:47 <nessy> I think it started already
Apr 30 17:59:55 <nessy> xiph/annodex got 4 students
Apr 30 18:00:08 <denisc1> excellent
Apr 30 18:00:35 <nessy> yeah, I had hoped for a subtitle student, but that's just not sexy enough :(
Apr 30 18:01:16 <denisc1> Oh well - depends on the subtitles I guess :b
Apr 30 18:01:19 <nessy> if I ever find a spare moment, I should hack on it
Apr 30 18:01:39 <nessy> 3. Annodex.net website
Apr 30 18:01:40 * denisc1 is now known as denisc
Apr 30 18:01:49 <nessy> we wanted to set up a wordpress
Apr 30 18:01:52 <nessy> johnf?
Apr 30 18:02:07 <johnf> I haven't looked at it yet
Apr 30 18:02:11 <johnf> I started upgrading the box
Apr 30 18:02:16 <johnf> which was absolutely ancien
Apr 30 18:02:22 <johnf> I'll try and look at it this weekend
Apr 30 18:02:46 <nessy> and I'll do the setup as soon as wordpress is installed
Apr 30 18:02:55 <denisc> With web stuff, that might be something I can help with? keen to put in some effort if needed
Apr 30 18:03:02 <nessy> absolutely
Apr 30 18:03:15 <nessy> as soon as it's set up and I have the draft layout etc done, we all need to help put content in
Apr 30 18:03:27 <denisc> Good one.
Apr 30 18:03:47 <nessy> yeah, sorry for it taking this long
Apr 30 18:04:00 <nessy> I think Conrad also has some ideas for it
Apr 30 18:04:01 <denisc> Hey - who isn't busy?
Apr 30 18:04:22 <nessy> with a startup, there really never is any time!
Apr 30 18:04:24 <nessy> :)
Apr 30 18:04:26 <nessy> 4. Software project updates
Apr 30 18:04:35 <nessy> I think denisc, you have some updates!
Apr 30 18:04:40 <nessy> I've seen you commit etc
Apr 30 18:06:06 <denisc> Well - updating for html5
Apr 30 18:06:17 <nessy> on arkaiv that was
Apr 30 18:06:19 <denisc> html5 videa and audio tags and playback rocks totally
Apr 30 18:06:26 <denisc> s/videa/video
Apr 30 18:06:37 <nessy> are you using firefox3.1 (ah 15?)
Apr 30 18:06:53 <denisc> Yeah - the beta 3.1 to be known as 3.5
Apr 30 18:07:23 <nessy> cool
Apr 30 18:07:26 <nessy> yeah, I love it, too
Apr 30 18:07:31 <nessy> I keep running shiretoko
Apr 30 18:07:41 <nessy> problem only is that flash keeps crashing my browsers
Apr 30 18:07:42 <denisc> I'm applying for a grant to get some more time on arkaiv, and maybe some help with coding
Apr 30 18:07:48 <nessy> so, I really really want to get rid of flash!
Apr 30 18:07:55 <nessy> ah, that totally rocks
Apr 30 18:08:08 <denisc> Did you hear doublec talking about h264 on the linux radio show?
Apr 30 18:08:09 <nessy> are you hosting a publicly accessible content set on arkaiv?
Apr 30 18:08:16 <nessy> ah... no?
Apr 30 18:08:19 <nessy> what did he say?
Apr 30 18:08:33 <denisc> Interesting - something about it costing to stream after 2010
Apr 30 18:09:06 <nessy> yes, that's right
Apr 30 18:09:28 <nessy> the licensing fee for h.264 is currently waived for everyone
Apr 30 18:09:36 <nessy> but after 2010 you have to pay for it's use
Apr 30 18:09:51 <nessy> for encoders, for large-scale publishing etc
Apr 30 18:10:01 <nessy> it will really annoy some people, I hope ;-)
Apr 30 18:10:09 <denisc> madness. check out http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/2009/04/linux-link-tech-show-on-html-5-audio.html
Apr 30 18:10:15 <denisc> Worth a listen.
Apr 30 18:10:40 <denisc> Sorry - have sidetracked the meeting!
Apr 30 18:10:59 <nessy> excellent
Apr 30 18:11:13 <nessy> I am also about 1000 blog posts behind on my reading, so I haven't caught up with this yet
Apr 30 18:11:21 <nessy> not at all - this is project update time
Apr 30 18:11:39 <nessy> updates from other that I know of:
Apr 30 18:11:58 <nessy> Conrad did a libfishsound release and oggz_chop release
Apr 30 18:12:43 <nessy> he is now very active in the W3C Media Fragments WG and will, I think, implement the media fragment URIs into liboggz
Apr 30 18:13:04 <nessy> so we will actually be standards conformant to the new W3C offset addressing ahead of almost everyone else ;)
Apr 30 18:13:22 <denisc> Whoot!
Apr 30 18:13:28 <nessy> will be totally awesome
Apr 30 18:13:46 <nessy> I know that wiking worked on dirac support in liboggplay, and so did Conrad for liboggz
Apr 30 18:14:04 <nessy> so we may soon see Ogg Dirac/Vorbis videos being played inside Firefox natively, too!
Apr 30 18:14:12 <nessy> that will provide quality improvements, I think
Apr 30 18:15:01 <nessy> I have done bugger all - am hoping for Mozilla to give me another grant so I can get back into subtitle support for HTML5 video, but if not paid, I probably won't be able to make the time :(
Apr 30 18:15:11 <nessy> everything is driven by where the dollars are these days :(
Apr 30 18:15:29 <denisc> Yeah. Well - have to eat
Apr 30 18:15:47 <johnf> libkate is now in debian, next to attack is liboggplay
Apr 30 18:15:54 <nessy> woot!
Apr 30 18:15:59 <denisc> Awesome
Apr 30 18:16:00 <johnf> also need to do new packages for kfish's releases
Apr 30 18:16:41 <nessy> 5. Other topics
Apr 30 18:16:46 <nessy> just finishing off
Apr 30 18:16:50 <nessy> I think johnf has some finances
Apr 30 18:17:18 <johnf> I have done a handover at the bank with purserj and now have access to the bank accounts
Apr 30 18:17:24 <nessy> awesome!
Apr 30 18:17:26 <denisc> Muhahahahha
Apr 30 18:17:29 <johnf> Need to spend some time getting all that in order at some stage
Apr 30 18:17:31 <nessy> we need to do the annual statement for the association
Apr 30 18:17:40 <nessy> it's already 2 months overdue
Apr 30 18:18:13 <nessy> mdale mentioned the Open Video conference - it's really shaping up to have a lot of Xiph people there
Apr 30 18:18:28 <nessy> damned, they are so lucky with the New York location - it's easier to get people there!
Apr 30 18:18:47 <denisc> Should be all streamed though right?
Apr 30 18:20:05 <nessy> I don't actually know ... but that would be awesome
Apr 30 18:20:12 <nessy> I'm sure they will record and publish it though
Apr 30 18:22:45 * johnf has quit ("Leaving.")
Apr 30 18:23:21 <j^> so everybody has to come
Apr 30 18:26:43 <nessy> mdale also said:
Apr 30 18:26:44 <nessy> "This focus on video in Firefox 3.5 can be used by annodex to promote
Apr 30 18:26:44 <nessy> some pseudo standardization around the stuff we want to see happen.
Apr 30 18:26:44 <nessy> Temporal urls / http fragment requests, accessibility, search-ability"
Apr 30 18:26:59 <nessy> we will need our website up with stuff RSN!!
Apr 30 18:27:21 <nessy> anyway, unles there is anything else to discuss, I declare the meeting closed for now
Apr 30 18:27:23 <nessy> will send logs
Apr 30 18:27:27 <nessy> but gotta go now, sorry
Apr 30 18:27:34 <denisc> Good one - thanks and catch yo later
More information about the annodex-association