[Xiph-Advocacy] [Vorbis] xiph for ipad?

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Mon Mar 28 15:59:09 PDT 2011

[Adding advocacy at xiph.org since this thread is headed that direction.]

On Sat, 2011-03-26 at 18:56 -0700, Ralph Giles wrote:
> Better to ask Apple to support Ogg and WebM directly, if
> you're an iOS customer.

This is part of the reason I have so much issue with what Apple does, in
particular the "walled garden" of the iPhone and iPad. I postulate that
Apple has little to no incentive to add Vorbis, FLAC, Theora, WebM, etc
support to their devices as it stands now; in fact, they have developed
competing technology in at least one case (ALAC).

Until the lack of support for Vorbis and friends actually starts costing
Apple statistically significant sales of iPhones and iPads, I doubt
we'll see any progress. This is the only way I know that we will have
Apple's full, undivided attention. It pains me to say it, but even the
FSF's aggressive campaigns against the iPhone, iPad, and other Apple
products have had little if any effect on sales figures.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>