[Xiph-Advocacy] Fwd: Open multimedia standards in the Norwegian government

Monty Montgomery monty at xiph.org
Mon Feb 14 23:36:47 PST 2011

Petter,

This is the primary email in the exchange I had with Audun Vaaler.
There were several other messages in the thread, but I don't think
they contained anything else substantial.  We did not, I think, submit
anything more formal at the time; however it does indeed make sense to
arrange and flesh out the information below into a formal
document/page on the Xiph website as interest in our organization and
work has obviously grown since then.

It was also true at the time that we were acting as a self-signing
standardization body as we'd not yet had much success interesting the
IETF or other established Free/Open-friendly standardization groups in
codec work.  Since then other IETF participants have joined our
interest in unencumbered formats and the picture within the IETF is no
longer so bleak.  As such, we hope that the time is coming when we can
focus on research & development and submit our work as an input to
standardization into an organization (such as the IETF).

Until then, though, we're very much taking the stance "You can come
along with us if you like, but we're not waiting up!" :-)

Monty
Xiph.Org