[Xiph-Advocacy] Open Video Alliance Contest

Josh Levy josh at openvideoalliance.org
Fri Nov 20 00:34:31 PST 2009

> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:09:08 -0500
> From: Luis Felipe L?pez Acevedo <sirgazil at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Xiph-Advocacy] Open Video Alliance Contest
> To: advocacy at xiph.org
>
> El mar, 17-11-2009 a las 20:07 -0500, Josh Levy escribi?:
> > Support open video! Details:
> >
> > Want to win a trip to South By Southwest 2010? Or maybe a Flip Mino
> > video camera? Read on...
> >

> >                        Open Video in 60 Seconds
> > The Open Video Alliance is holding a video contest. To enter, just
> > make a video spot explaining open video in 60 seconds or less. Then
> > upload it anywhere and tell us the URL.
> >

> > Our judges?including web luminaries like Jimmy Wales and Mitchell
> > Baker?will pick the best and most creative entries. One lucky winner
> > will be headed to Austin on an expenses-paid trip to SXSW 2010, and
> > three runners-up will get a Flip Mino handheld video camera.
> >

> > The last day to submit a video is January 31, 2010. Head over to the
> > contest page to check out the entries and submit your own video!
> > Complete rules are here.
> >

> And what's the point of the contest if that website doesn't use a free
> and open video file format? I don't support proprietary technologies
> like Adobe Flash Player and SWF.

Of course, we don't favor proprietary formats for our own we purposes.
However, for the contest, we're encouraging people to put up videos all over
the web, so we're using aggregator software called Miro Community. MC
supports all video types, including OGG Theora files. Perhaps when the
contest is over, we'll set up a hosting platform to convert and serve all
the videos up using HTML5 and Theora. We hope to receive many open format
submissions too.