[Xiph-Advocacy] Will Ogg Vorbis, Ogg Theora and FLAC become free and open standards soon?

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 09:26:55 PDT 2009

On 7/14/09, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> wrote:
> Hi.  Here in Norway, a common attack on the Ogg family of audio and
> video formats is that neither are open standards as defined by EU in
> <URL:http://europa.eu.int/idabc/servlets/Doc?id=19529> (page 9) or
> Digistan in <URL:http://www.digistan.org/open-standard:definition>.

Hm?  I fail to see how.  It fulfils both definitions: no problem with
patents, under the wing of a non-profit organization (albeit US
registered), all documentation openly available (and for free) and
hundreds of implementations exist, many of them available under
free/open licenses.

Which specific line do you Norwegian folks reckon the Xiph formats don't fulfil?

Is your problem only that it's not under the wing of the IETF or ECMA?
 ECMA allowed things like OOXML to become a "standard".  It's not
exactly a good example.

You may also note that the Vorbis and Speex RTP specifications are
under the IETF, and Theora and CELT will be added as well in the near
future.

-Ivo