[Xiph-Advocacy] example of lossless fade out

Conrad Parker conrad at vergenet.net
Tue Jul 7 15:45:28 PDT 2009

2009/7/8 Jose Ramirez <jose at multimedia4everyone.com>:

> Hello again,
>
> The feature of taking a lossy file and editing it with fades without
> degrading quality is an important one.
>
> Here is a file from:
> http://pan.zipcon.net/
> http://dsl-63-249-19-10.zipcon.net/mp3/chamber_orchestra/OCT-08/
>
> In this piece there is 38 seconds of perfect music IMO. This example was
> cut out.
> The beginning sounds fine but the end doesn't, the abrupt ending makes
> it unusable.
>
> http://www.multimedia4everyone.com/test/oggies/Vivaldi_Cello_Concerto_Gmaj_no-fade.mp3
>

> Having the feature of lossless fading, the cut off can be ended smoothly
> without losing quality.
>
> http://www.multimedia4everyone.com/test/oggies/Vivaldi_Cello_Concerto_Gmaj_fade-out.mp3
>

> If the copyright license allows 'everything is recyclable' with lossless
> cutting and fading.
>
> The big question is, it possible to edit fade ins and outs in vorbis and
> theora without re-encoding. If for some technical reason it's not, then
> the fade feature should be added to the HTML 5 spec.
>
> HTML 5 could take a page out of SMIL, SMIL 2 had fade in and out for
> visual media, SMIL 3 added it for audio:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SMIL3/smil-transitions.html##TransitionEffects-AudioTransitions
>

> To get to the point were there are millions webpages with xiph media,
> the process needs to be easy.

Hi,

I think it would be useful to have options for simple editing.

If it needs to work for vorbis, theora, and possibly other/future
codecs, then it doesn't seem to make much sense to do it only on the
raw codec data. Wouldn't it make more sense to do it at a higher
level, just providing info of when to fade in/out etc.?

This info could be embedded in the Ogg file, or in the web page as you suggest.

If we wanted to embed it in the Ogg file, we would need to specify a
representation.

Conrad.