[Xiph-Advocacy] which subtitle format is currently well supported in any of Linux player?

Conrad Parker conrad at vergenet.net
Wed Jan 28 19:00:10 PST 2009

2009/1/28 Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves <justivo at gmail.com>:
> On 1/28/09, Tom Sparks <tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>> there is also SubRip/.srt
>
> Yes, I'm aware.  It is my understanding that SubRip in Ogg is a
> stopgap solution *for the web* until the existing solutions (read,
> Kate) become more established among existing software.
>
> It is also my understanding that this solution was already scrapped in
> favor of using separated .srt files overlayed on top of Ogg through
> Javascript; one of the advantages of using already existing
> technologies.
>
> Do not quote me on the above, though.
>
> Either way, though, SubRip is a basic subtitle solution and that is
> not what the mainstream is currently looking for; people want effects,
> pretty letters.  It has, of course, a much more established base (it's
> pretty hard to find a video player that doesn't support .srt files),
> so in the end it comes down to choosing whatever solution fits better
> a given situation.

yeah, our current plan is to provide OggSRT support as a basic
subtitle format, as part of the current OggText developments:

http://wiki.xiph.org/OggText
http://wiki.xiph.org/OggSRT

and in the long term to encourage the use of more feature-rich formats
like Kate.

Discussions are taking place on the accessibility list: