[Xiph-Advocacy] which subtitle format is currently well supported in any of Linux player?

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 04:24:56 PST 2009

On 1/28/09, Tom Sparks <tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> there is also SubRip/.srt

Yes, I'm aware.  It is my understanding that SubRip in Ogg is a
stopgap solution *for the web* until the existing solutions (read,
Kate) become more established among existing software.

It is also my understanding that this solution was already scrapped in
favor of using separated .srt files overlayed on top of Ogg through
Javascript; one of the advantages of using already existing
technologies.

Do not quote me on the above, though.

Either way, though, SubRip is a basic subtitle solution and that is
not what the mainstream is currently looking for; people want effects,
pretty letters.  It has, of course, a much more established base (it's
pretty hard to find a video player that doesn't support .srt files),
so in the end it comes down to choosing whatever solution fits better
a given situation.

-Ivo