[Xiph-Advocacy] which subtitle format is currently well supported in any of Linux player?

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 03:17:48 PST 2009

On 1/28/09, zhangweiwu at realss.com <zhangweiwu at realss.com> wrote:
> Hello. I was wondering if any of the ogg subtitle format (writ, CMML or
> oggKate) has good implementation in any Linux media player? Say, how is
> CMML support on VLC or mplayer?

I reckon CMML has basic support in VLC, but VLC's Kate support is near
complete.  MPlayer doesn't support either out of the box, though there
is a patch for Kate pending their approval.

There are also Kate patches for the XMMS forks, xine and gstreamer.

If you're looking for a recommendation, I'd say Kate is a solid
choice.  Writ is vaporware, and CMML seems to have been scrapped as of
late.

-Ivo