[Xiph-Advocacy] Wave: to be free or not to be free, that is the question

list at akfoerster.de list at akfoerster.de
Fri Jan 9 10:09:32 PST 2009

Hello,

on your SOM site you mention many file formats as being free or not free.
But you don't mention the Wave format. Is it a free format or not?

To be free or not to be free, that is the question ;-)

I know that the format is technically inferior, and I don't ask you to
advocate for it. But the format is very simple and well supported and
that's why I use it (in software projects).

So may I ask, are there any known patents? The format is quite old, so
I hope, they have expired already if there were any. The format can
also contain sound data encoded in MS-ADPCM or IMA-ADPCM. Is there any
known problem with those? Should I rather stick with PCM?

--
AKFoerster