[Xiph-Advocacy] dir.xiph.org

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 12:33:48 PST 2009

So, dir.xiph.org is the Icecast directory linked prominently from the
Xiph sites.

It lists non-free formats.  At some point you could have made a
straight faced argument that by supporting MP3 we were in a better
embrace-and-extend position, and that there we big compatibility
reasons for sites to offer MP3.

Today there are almost as many AAC* sites listed as Vorbis ones, and
only one stream in the top twenty offers a free format. I think this
is embarrassing and counter-productive.  If dir.xiph.org continues as
dir.*xiph.org* it should list only free formats.

Thoughts?