[Xiph-Advocacy] Would giving out SOM email accounts be a good idea?

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 10:09:39 PDT 2008

Hey,

Glad to see you are still around.

On 4/3/08, Bjorn Wijers <bjorn at simuze.nl> wrote:
> At the time that SOM was hosted on the other server it was possible to
> do a forward. Is that what you're proposing?

We can do forwards in the new server, too, but no, that's not what I
am proposing.  Unless there's a consensus that that would be a better
idea.

I figure people would rather like to have an actual physical box to
use in their daily endeavours.

> Btw one could argue that by giving other people - not necessarily
> involved with SOM - the address of spreadopenmedia.org it might make it
> harder for interested parties to get into touch with those representing
> SOM.

Do you mean there's potential for abuse?  That is an important
concern, but it's not really a problem in SOM.  My basis for saying
this is that:

1) SOM is not an organization; Xiph is.  Thus statements from a
@spreadopenmedia.org address should not be taken as seriously as
statements from a @xiph.org address.
2) People who wish to contact representatives of the project may do so
through the contact form in the site, the mailing list or, ultimately,
through Xiph itself
3) Being a community project means we give access for people to voice
their opinions.  Some may not be in line with the organization's
ideals, but anyone with half a brain will realize the organization
cannot be responsible for user statements.

-Ivo