[Xiph-Advocacy] iRiver and OGG

Levander levander at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 19 14:51:25 PDT 2007

Having been back eyeballing getting a new DAP for awhile, I've been
looking at iRiver devices.  Last time I was looking, iRiver had just
released the H10 which Bill Gates held up at some speech he gave at CES
that year.  I don't know how much I'm just repeating stuff that may have
been beaten to death on this list, but iRiver was an early adopter of
OGG.  And, the H10 was one of their first devices not to support OGG.
They went PlaysForSure, I'm thinking at the time Microsoft was telling
people not to use competing formats on PlaysForSure devices:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/27/accidental_music_monopoly_bid/

 From having watched it here and there, I remember there was a big drop
in the iRiver stock price.  The iRiver stock price is hard to look up
because it trades on some Asian market.  At the time I assumed it was
because iRiver basically abandoned their existing techie audience with
their dropping of OGG and UMS in favor of PlaysForSure and MTP with
hopes of a new customer base that apparently never came.  I never looked
into it, but that was my assumption at the time.

Going back into looking at DAP's, I'm surprised to see iRiver with a
slimmed down product line (probably in response to their slimmed down
stock price), and they now do support OGG on their flagship Clix products...

As you can see, a lot of what I've written is based on what I remember
and not what I've gone through and researched.  I mention it on this
list as a suggestion that perhaps someone could research iRiver's
experience with dropping and re-adopting iRiver support.  From the
outside, it really does look like iRiver has decided OGG is essential to
their product strategy.  If someone could get an interview with an
iRiver exec, iRiver would probably enjoy the publicity in the techie
audience, and it'd probably make a damn good story arguing the benefits
of adopting OGG.

Here's a half-hearted effort I made into looking into this same stuff on
an iRiver enthusiast board:

http://www.misticriver.net/showthread.php?t=53984

Here's a thread I participated in trying to raise hell about iRiver
dropping OGG when the H10 was being released:

http://misticriver.net/showthread.php?t=10585

It's a long thread and you don't have to read either of these two
threads to get the gist of this email.

-Levander