[Xiph-Advocacy] The Main Page of SOM

SwiftBiscuit swiftbiscuit at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 22 12:18:27 PDT 2007

Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> Will be a tough job. I just thought "let's explain an MP3
> alternative to people who don't understand MP3". Ouch.

I think that targeting the most useful audience is the hard part, once
that's done it's fairly simple.

"The difference between Ogg Vorbis and MP3 is... blah.
This matters *to you* because... blah."

I don't see a point in getting into technical details straight away since
that is not what matters to the audience, what matters is the  cost of
licences and the legal repercussions of disobeying licence restrictions,
etc.

"Your MP3 player costs you more because the manufacturer has to pay for a
licence. If they don't, the police can seize the players and take the
company to court (refer to SanDisk).
Ogg Vorbis players do not require a licence, let alone a licencing fee,
meaning that you can keep more of your cash in your pocket."

This, to me, is the type of message to send the audience you've chosen.